PUTTING YOUR SKIN IN THE GAME: BRAVE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT RACE AND INTERNALIZED RACISM
Time & Location
PRESENTERS: KATHLEEN ISAAC, PHD & FABIOLA DESMONT, LMSW
Fabiola Desmont, LMSW is a licensed social worker with additional training and certification in clinical family and couples counseling and group psychotherapy from Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work. She has expertise in human trafficking and spearheads anti-human trafficking initiatives internationally. She is a consultant and an adjunct professor at NYU-Silver School of Social Work and Bryn Mawr College Graduate School of Social Work and Research and is a candidate for a DSW degree at NYU-Silver School of Social Work.
Kathleen Isaac, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist at NYU Langone Health, providing individual, couples and group psychotherapy to medical students, residents, and hospital employees. She also has a part-time private practice focused on serving BIPOC and LGBTQ+ clients and leads affinity groups for BIPOC individuals. She is past secretary and current member at large of the Board of Directors of the Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society (EGPS).
Dr. Isaac and Ms. Desmont are both members of the EGPS Work Group for Racial Equity.
5 CE credits for Psychologists, Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, & Professional Counselors
From attendance at this virtual event, participants will be able to:
1. Identify three challenges and barriers working toward decentering whiteness in clinical practice.
2. Identify three ways in which cultural or racial competency are not enough to undo racism.
3. Identify three strategies for inviting an exploration of one’s internalized racism and how it shows up in group practice as educators and practitioners.
4. Identify three strategies for inviting and maintaining a clinical focus on race in individual and group practice.
2 hours 30 minutesMorning Session
2 hours 30 minutesAfternoon Session
- Scholarship Recipient$0$00$0
- General Admission, Reduced Fee$20$200$0
- General Admission, Suggested$50+$1.25 Service fee$50+$1.25 Service fee0$0
- General Admission, Patron Fee$80+$2 Service fee$80+$2 Service fee0$0